Ma, Pa, Harrison Becker, Ashlee Edens, Quint Seymore,
Rexx Huish, Taylor Birrell, Sacia Heywood,
Cindy Young, Lauren Otey, Trey Fulton
(Sacia's expression is priceless)
Pioneer clothes are so NOT flattering!
The dresses are great for outdoor potty breaks,
but combined with bloomers, undergarments and aprons
and they are horrible in "J-Johns" !
Trey was trying to stay dry with the chickens.
Just as we approached our version of Rocky Ridge
the hail came fast and furious. And so did the wind, rain,
the hail came fast and furious. And so did the wind, rain,
lightning & thunder. Our trail boss figured it out that
we were climbing (slipping & sliding more like)
seven (7) stories
pullin' & pushin' a handcart caked with mud.
It took a lot of sweat & some tears but we made it.
We set off after a short break but didn't make it far.
we were climbing (slipping & sliding more like)
seven (7) stories
pullin' & pushin' a handcart caked with mud.
It took a lot of sweat & some tears but we made it.
We set off after a short break but didn't make it far.
The weather wouldn't let up and the mud was too much
for our families to conquer. We made camp off to
the side of the road. The wind and rain were relentless
and putting up the tarp tent was insane. The stakes wouldn't
stay in the saturated ground, the tarp ripped
letting in the rain and we were all cold and
soaked to the bone. Needless to say, Stephanie
(Ma) was hysterical. I was laughing so hard I
had tears streaming down my face. The "kids"
kept taking photos and I couldn't believe
any of it was happening. Murphy's Law was in
full effect that night. (That was as close to
being a pioneer that I ever want to be). While trying to
get warm in our sleeping bags Jim told stories
from Fire of the Covenant. Everyone was
humbled and grateful for our current lives.
We said a prayer and tried to sleep,
but the wind and rain rattled our
"tent" all night. AND Ma Fillmore couldn't stop giggling.
stay in the saturated ground, the tarp ripped
letting in the rain and we were all cold and
soaked to the bone. Needless to say, Stephanie
(Ma) was hysterical. I was laughing so hard I
had tears streaming down my face. The "kids"
kept taking photos and I couldn't believe
any of it was happening. Murphy's Law was in
full effect that night. (That was as close to
being a pioneer that I ever want to be). While trying to
get warm in our sleeping bags Jim told stories
from Fire of the Covenant. Everyone was
humbled and grateful for our current lives.
We said a prayer and tried to sleep,
but the wind and rain rattled our
"tent" all night. AND Ma Fillmore couldn't stop giggling.
Pioneer Humor became our family "catch-phrase".
Pa would say, "Did you get any bacon?" while
we were eating cornmeal mush. The kids eyes
would light up and I would say, "Pioneer humor!"
(guess you had to be there)
is one of our captains, Duane Shumway.
That's our family approaching.
Lauren Otey is riding on the handcart.
make cute pioneers!
In the end, we were very tired and very dirty,
but very grateful that we were called to serve as a Ma & Pa.
The 2009 Chandler East Stake Trek was an
experience we shall never forget!

8 comments:
It was a great Trek. Sure turned out different then planned. But it was awesome.
sorry- comments are from Julie Herrell - Sydney is still signed in. :)
I am laughing because I really get it Stephanie. That's what I do when things are so ridiculously awful that you have to laugh. Remember, I told you, that's what I did when I was in labor. It was so ridiculously painful that I had to laugh. Crazy, I know, but true! I talked to Jim about your trek and you were both great sports. A wonderful experience but one you probably don't need as a repeat performance. I've been waiting for those pictures. Love, Mom
Sounds like quite the experience, but I love the story of you just laughing your way through it. You always do have such a great attitude and such a contagious laugh. Way to go Ma Fillmore! Proud of you.
You have such a positive outlook and personality- I've thought that many times- and your awesome pioneer stories prove it! You guys most be the "cool" leaders. Are you signed up for next year?
I love that you just kept laughing - what a great ma you are! Loved reading about this - what an awesome experience.
The next trek is in four years and our three boys will all be on it. Going again could be a possibility. Then again, maybe we'll take the girls to Disneyland during that time.!?
Way to go Steph! I have not trouble imagining the nights in the tent with the giggles.
Post a Comment